|Owner||Taiwan Railways Administration|
|Operator(s)||Taiwan Railways Administration|
|Ridership||5.2 million in the first half of 2019.|
|Opened||15 December 1941|
|Line length||61.3 km (38.1 mi)|
|Number of tracks||2 (Kaohsiung to Chaozhou), 1 (Chaozhou to Fangliao)|
|Track gauge||3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)|
|Electrification||25 kV/60 Hz Catenary|
|Operating speed||150 km/h (93 mph)|
The section between Nanzhou and Linbian railway stations will be upgraded from a single-track railway to a double-track railway in December 2019 while the section between Chaozhou and Nanzhou, and the section between Linbian and Fangliao is expected to remain in single-track.
Taiwanese government stated in 2007 that it reserved the possibility to upgrade the entire section to dual-track railway when the number of travelers through Pingtung Line reaches a certain level 
The line was completed in 1941. The section between Kaohsiung and Pingtung was electrified on July 10, 1996. The section between Pingtung and Chaozhou was electrified on August 23, 2015, when the elevated tracks between the two stations opened.
Immediately following the completion of the elevated tracks between Pingtung and Chaozhou, the TRA began planning for the electrification of the last section of the line between Chaozhou and Fangliao. The plan was approved by the Ministry of the Interior on June 3, 2013, and construction began on November 16, 2014.
Aside from electrifying the tracks, the following upgrades were carried out simultaneously:
- Extending and raising platforms at all stations to cater to low-floor trains
- Adding a second track between Nanzhou and Linbian
- Adding a second platform at Zhen'an and Jiadong
The infrastructure was completed in October 2019, and beginning on November 8, test runs using electric trains were carried out on the line. The electrified tracks officially entered service on December 23, 2019.
|Name||Chinese||Taiwanese||Hakka||Transfers and Notes||Location|
|Kaohsiung||高雄||Ko-hiông||Kô-hiùng||→ West Coast line
|Fangliao||枋寮||Pang-liâu||Piông-liàu||→ South-link line|
- 侯承旭 (3 September 2019). 台鐵屏東線 上半年運量破五百萬人次 - 屏東縣. 自由電子報 (in Chinese). Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "Taiwan Railways Administration". Archived from the original on 11 January 2008. Retrieved 31 December 2007.
- Shelley Shan (29 October 2019). "Railways to be fully electrified in 2020". Taipei Times. Archived from the original on 29 October 2019. Retrieved 29 October 2019.
- "台鐵潮州-枋寮電氣化計畫". 鐵路改建工程局 (in Chinese). 2 December 2007. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "臺灣鐵路電氣化及電訊發展史". TRA (in Chinese (Taiwan)). Archived from the original on 9 June 2015. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- 黃立翔 (19 August 2015). "台鐵屏潮捷運化完工 週日通車" (in Chinese (Taiwan)). Taipei. Liberty Times. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- 柯凱仁 (October 2019). "RN焦距:新時代! 潮州枋寮電氣化通車". Rail News. Vol. 31, no. 243. 春臨臺灣文化事業坊. pp. 80–97. ISSN 2073-2163.
- 王介村; 孟昭權 (23 December 2019). "南迴鐵路電氣化 潮州、枋寮提前1年今通車" (in Chinese (Taiwan)). Pingtung. PTS. Retrieved 19 May 2021.